Checking in with goals I made at the beginning of this year.
- Ancient Greek and Roman lit. I’ve read The Odyssey by Homer, Medea by Euripides, and The Birds by Aristophanes. I’m still hoping to get to The Aeneid, Symposium, and (potentially) Anne Carson’s translations of Euripides. I doubt I will make it to Aristotle’s Poetics.
- Shakespeare. I’ve read Othello, The Taming of the Shrew, and The Merchant of Venice. Also working my way through his sonnets. Planning to read Macbeth (a reread) and The Winter’s Tale before year’s end, which would bring me to five Shakespeare plays this year.
- Woolf. No progress, started the diaries, but got distracted. May still read The Waves.
- Joyce. No progress. Reread “The Dead”. Hoping to read Portrait… soon.
- Dante. No progress, wanted to read The Aeneid first. Moving this to next year?
- Proust. No progress, read a bit of Swann’s Way, got distracted. Next year.
- Nabokov. Read his complete stories and Mary, his first novel. Planning on reading King, Queen, Knave later this year.
- Authors I feel I will love. No progress. Still hoping to get to Perec this year though…
- A few lady classics. Read Jane Eyre, Villette, and Sense & Sensibility. Attempting to make time for Wuthering Heights this winter.
- Short stories. I did read the Munro and Carver I wanted. Also a few others I don’t feel like listing now. Currently reading Yates’s stories.
- NYRB Classics. Read a few, will try for more, but I am satisfied as is.
So. Not as much progress as I had hoped for, but I have read amazing books this year, more than a few gaps filled. A few detours on the way, including a Les Liasons dangereuses inspired reading list and a little digging into detective fiction origins.