A week into 2011. Much has been read, few have been finished. A short listing of goals ensues.
- Ancient Greek and Roman lit. This includes drama and epic poetry mostly. The Odyssey and The Aeneid. Anne Carson’s translations of Euripedes. A few classics I haven’t acquainted myself with. Medea, Aristophanes. Aristotle’s Poetics. Plato. Slightly reluctant to mention Herodotus as I fear I won’t make it that far.
- Shakespeare. Last year, I aimed for four plays, one every three months. I want to repeat this. I am thinking, The Winter’s Tale, Othello, two others not yet determined.
- Woolf. After falling for To the Lighthouse, I crave more.
- Joyce. If I intend to read Ulysses one day, I best make way for Portrait first.
- Dante. Dreams of reading The Divine Comedy in full.
- Proust. As far as I am taken.
- Nabokov. Stories, novels, I want it all. Rationally, will attempt to read all stories and a few novels.
- Authors I feel I will love. But haven’t yet read. Perec, Garcia Marquez, Rushdie, Eco, Dostoevsky.
- A few lady classics. Jane Eyre, Jane Austen (attempting to read in written order), Wuthering Heights (no promises there however).
- Short stories. While always frequent reads, I’d like to acquaint myself with unread (or barely read) masters (Munro, Carver) and delve further into those I love.
- NYRB Classics. Smitten.
And this is just my shortlist.